Wednesday 11 September 2013

Baby shower cupcakes

I recently made cupcakes for my friends baby shower. Having decided not to find out the baby's sex before birth she wanted both blue and pink for her cupcakes. 



I decided to ice some blue, some pink and some both.  If you would like recipes please don't hesitate to get in touch but for this post I will just be explaining how I did things. 

To create a two coloured piped icing you need to mix up both your icing colours. Then fill one side of the piping with one colour and then fill the remaining side with the other. Basically when you have done this you should be able to see when you hold your piping bag vertical half is blue and half is pink. Squeeze the icing until both colours come through at the same time. Then ice as normal. 

For decorations I made fondant icing letters and roses. For the letters I rolled out the icing and then used alphabet cutters to cut out icing letters speeding Baby Roberts. 






I had never made icing roses before. To be honest I rarely work with fondant but these were surprising easy to make and I think they turned out really well. 

I watched a really helpful tutorial on line. I suggest you watch it. http://youtu.be/1R8MsL-5oKA 

I would say you will need more petals than she uses. I basically made quite a few and just kept wrapping them around until I reached the size of rose I wanted. 

I didn't use a plastic wallet also I used a ziplock bag. 

Another technique I used was covering the cakes with fondant icing rather than a buttercream swirl. You can also find many tutorial for this online. 




Now this video is a little odd but bare with her she's actually rather good and I found it quite helpful. It's the same principle as I used. http://youtu.be/bxOuEzS6aFs

If you have any questions please comment or message me. I am happy to help or just hear from you!! 

The cakes went down a treat and I have already been asked to do more baby showers !!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment